August 2, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Trends I'd Like to See More or Less of.

Top Ten Tuesday is brought to us by The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN TRENDS I'D LIKE TO SEE MORE OR LESS OF

I'd like to see more...

1. Contemporary lit - I don't always want to be a vampire-loving faerie queen caught in a war with angels and trapped in a utilitarian compound.

2. Verse novels - You know, books like Lisa Schroeder's. Verse. Poetry.

3. Older characters - I don't understand why setting a story in college is so taboo and unheard of.

4. Horror stories - I don't always want an overly cheery or depressing read. I like a good thriller.

5. Male MCs - I can't stress enough how much I love reading a male POV or having male main characters. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I don't want to read about guys.


I'd like to see less...

6. Faeries - Don't get me wrong, I loooove stories about fey. (Iron Fey & Wicked Lovely series, anyone?) But I've seen some others surfacing, and they seem to mimic one another.

7. Mythology - The ideas all seem really cool and interesting, but the executions have been less than stellar.

8. Dystopian - I've read the Hunger Games and tried Possession. It's just not for me.

9. Historical romances - Not my thing.

10. Series - Why can't a story wrap up in just one book anymore? I don't want to have to invest all of my money in like twelve sequels.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for mentioning books in verse! They do not get enough attention these days. Lisa Schroeder is great, but I love Ellen Hopkins. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you on the series. I love series, but... it seems like stand alone books are becoming rarer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree definitely on more contemp, and more male MCs - Cassel from White Cat is just pure genius. But gotta disagree on the dystopian, I say keep it coming! I wish there were more standalones though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, we're totally with you on Contemporary!

    Also, if you're looking for a good verse novel, we've heard KARMA is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely there with you on the college-aged MCs and, well, most of your 'more of' list. And I haven't read anything by Lisa Schroeder, and almost bought a book last time at Border's. If it's still there next time I'll have to pick it up. I've heard lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally hear you on the older characters! What's wrong with college-aged protagonists? I would love to see some more of these and I'm sure teens about to graduate high school would too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to see more of legit high fantasy not the girl suddenly finds herself powerful while living in a humdrum normal household. And I would kill for some legit college aged kids dealing with pertinent issues that are less teenagery and more "what am I going to do with my life now??" Hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...