August 24, 2010

REVIEW! Sloppy Firsts.





Sloppy Firsts
Megan McCafferty




FROM THE COVER:

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy – and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?


My rating: 5 stars.


MY THOUGHTS:

Striking, vivid insight. Jessica is something unlike most characters: painstakingly observant and in tune to her surroundings, yet not abnormally so. But what she sees, and what she feels from what she sees, proves to be life-changing in the most thoughtful ways possible.

Case and point: Marcus Flutie.

Marcus is everything you want, even though you shouldn’t. For every near-perfect aspect he possesses, there’s also an imperfection. He is a character of poise or severe instability – there’s no middle. With Jessica, readers will swoon over his charm, no matter how wrong he may prove to be. Marcus is, if anything, an ingenious character.

The story itself is broken down into the months of the year. However, the pace is brisk, much like Jessica’s thoughts. The dialogue is fitting – neither weak nor strong. And Jessica’s family has such great personality and inclusion overall, which is nice when so many families get put on the backburner in other novels. McCafferty manages to incorporate all elements of Jessica’s life in a lovely way: family, friends and love.


EXTRA: The sequels are Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings and Perfect Fifths.

9 comments:

  1. Love the post - short but sweet! :)

    I have an award for you over at my blog, because yours is absolutely wonderful:

    One Lovely Blog Award

    I hope you accept it, and have a wondeful day!

    ●▬▬▬๑۩ Tina @ Book Couture ۩๑▬▬▬▬●

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent review! The characters in this book sound so strong. That's essential for a good book. I must read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you planning on reading all the sequels? I think I read up through 3 and stopped. I LOVED the first and second ... I think the problem I have with series like this is that the series becomes the same thing over and over again. I felt that way with the Shopaholic books too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all the sequels. I agree, the first and second were quite amazing, but the story really does taper off after the third. I pushed myself to continue with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've heard loads of good things about these books so I ought to check them out fairly soonish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree what you said. I really liked the first and second books but from third one on, the author loses the rhythm and with it the plot of the story. I love the review by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading this series lately and I've really enjoyed it. I haven't finished it yet, though. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister bought this book and I've been eying it up lately! I've heard really good things. I might have to go James Bond and grab it from her room! It will be back before she even notices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this years ago and I can barely remember it. I really liked it as I recall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...