April 22, 2011

REVIEW! But I Love Him.




But I Love Him
Amanda Grace



FROM THE COVER:

Sometimes at night, I wake up and stare at the heart for hours. I think of how I collected each piece from the beach, how I glued it all together into one big sculpture. I wonder if Connor realizes what it means, that he'll always have a piece of me no matter what happens. Each piece of glass is another piece of myself that I gave to him.

It's too bad I didn't keep any pieces for myself.

My rating: 4 stars.

MY THOUGHTS:

I read this in one sitting. All 245 pages. Could not put it down.

But I Love Him is beautiful. And painful. Right at the beginning the pain is apparent. I'm sad to say it doesn't get any better, or easier. For a while, Ann is nameless - she remains the suffering narrator, connecting to readers purely through her words and thoughts, without an actual identity.  You will want to hate Connor. You will hate him, but you will empathize with him. Their relationship, which is hardly a relationship, takes its course backward. That's right: the story is told from the present to the past, each chapter a receding date. It's regression that matches the course of their relationship.

I was blown away by the rawness and realness of the story. Despite knowing there was no happy ending in sight, I had to plow through. Ann and Connor are both captivating, in their own respects. However, they did often seem older than eighteen and nineteen; it is at these points that the story loses its believability. There are quite a bit of loose ends, too. You get some sense of their finality, but not enough to really satisfy.

Still, it's a story of pure heartache and love that illuminates the power of belief, persuasion and dependence.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review, the first l have seen.
    I SO WANT THIS! Lol it is top of my wishlist =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sort of emotional rawness sounds right up my alley. Is this book out already or did you read it in galley form?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Crowe: This book is out already. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds like something I'd read when I'm feeling down. But just the excerpt sounds so raw. Fall for Anything is awesome. I hope you get the time to read it because I reckon you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might need to read this with a good summer book to counter it. I am a sucker for happy endings, but I will cave in once in a while for something with some more depth and jagged edges. Sounds like this is the one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BookGeek: Oh, definitely. This is not a light read, in the sense that it's happy. It's most definitely depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to go and add this to my wishlist, it sounds amazing. Thanks for the review!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...